Nurturing touch has been an important part of childbearing for thousands of years.
Prenatal Massage supports relaxation and in turn allows for many physiological changes to take place.
The ability to relax is an essential element to the birth process.
Postpartum massage can aid in providing the rest and healing that new mothers need in order to recover from the excitement of giving birth.
Benefits of Prenatal Massage and Postpartum Massage Therapy
- Reduces stress and promotes relaxation.
- Reduces musculoskeletal pain and strain that occurs during pregnancy and after birth.
- Aids in the reduction of edema and increases blood and lymph circulation.
- Helps develop body awareness and flexibility necessary for active birthing.
- Promotes regular blood flow to the uterus, prenatal, and encourages the uterus back to its regular shape and size postpartum.
- Postpartum massage helps tone traumatized abdominal muscles.
- After a C-Section Postpartum massage can help reduce scar tissue at the site of incision.
Is Prenatal Massage Therapy safe during all pregnancies?
Most women can receive prenatal massage during their pregnancy, even those at "high risk". verbal /or written consent from your doctor is advised before your massage treatments begin. Prenatal massage is not recommended if you are experiencing any kind of cold, fever or virus.
What can I expect at my first visit?
At the first visit an intake form will be filled out by the client. From the information provided an hour long prenatal massage will be tailored to that client and her pregnancy.
How often should I receive Prenatal Massage Therapy?
Prenatal massage can be received as often as desired during pregnancy. Prenatal massage is an optional addition to your prenatal well being and is not intended to replace appropriate medical and prenatal care.
When can I start receiving Postpartum Massage?
Your healthcare professional can advise you as to the appropriate time frame for you to start receiving massage. After a C-Section it is advised to wait 6-8 weeks.
* Please come to your appointment with clean skin.
The oils used are meant to absorb into your skin and stay on for 12-24 hours for maximum healing benefit.*
Ricki Ainbinder, owner of
Mother Nurture Massage and Bodywork of Fairfield County
is a licensed massage therapist certified in Prenatal, Perinatal and Postpartum Massage Therapy.
To find out more about these services or to make an appointment:
Call: (203) 653-5131 or Email: